Jun 15, 2008

Priorities


This is a serious post for a change...One week ago today, my grandmother was admitted to the hospital. She was placed in a nursing home on Thursday for "rehab." Insurance is covering the stay 100% for 20 days. However, the sad reality is that mamaw can no longer live alone and take care of herself. She can't go back home. This really has nothing to do with the point I'm about to make. I just wanted to give an update. The point I want to make is that it's a shame the only time family usually comes together is when a crisis arises. I'm guilty as well. I've gone months without visit my mamaw who lives only an hour away. There were too many other things to do such as work, housekeeping, etc. Life is so short, and we spend way too much of it worrying about the trivial matters. I suggest that everyone read Anna Quindlen's book, A Short Guide to a Happy Life. Two of my favorite quotes from this book include: 1) Consider the lilies of the field. Look at the fuzz on a baby's ear. Read in the back-yard with the sun on your face. Learn to be happy and think of life as a terminal illness, because, if you do, you will live it with joy and passion, as it ought to be lived. and 2)No man ever said on his deathbed I wish I had spent more time at the office. These are wonderful words to live by.

No comments: