Jul 13, 2008

Teenage Pregnancy is the New Black!

Ok, I admit that I'm addicted to celebrity smut-I can't resist picking up at least one tabloid while waiting in the grocery line. I must admit, however, I was disturbed to read the latest edition of OK!. As you can see on the cover, there's a radiant, well-rested Jamie Lynn Spears with her new baby. There is a 6 page article/spread inside featuring several photos of Jamie Lynn and her new family. There is one pic of Jamie Lynn wearing a white negligee-she's on the bed with the baby beside her. Another pic is taken in the kitchen--Casey (baby's daddy) is pouring coffee for Jamie Lynn as the baby rests in the glider, which is on top of the kitchen island. How safe, right? It's a picture taken right out of the 1950's American Dream. So, you ask why I'm disturbed by this? Are we forgetting that Jamie Lynn is a baby herself? Are we forgetting that our kids (well, not mine) are still watching Zoey 101?

It also disturbs me that in her interview, Jamie Lynn makes being a new mother sound like a walk in the park. She exclaims, "I feel great. I've been able to go back to doing my normal cleaning and everything." She goes on to say, "I love taking care of her. It is so much fun. I just want to hug her and kiss her, and I'm happy all the time." Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that Jamie Lynn is making the most out of the situation she's in. However, other tweens and teenagers who read this smut, may decide to be less careful or even try to become pregnant thinking that they too, will be "happy all the time." Ok, I'm now stepping down from my soapbox...my point has been made or at least I hope.




No comments: